Head – MD, PhD Mykhaylets Lyudmila
The main purpose of genetic counseling – prevention of genetic diseases by preventing the birth of children with this pathology.
In genetic counseling work was organized according to the protocols to provide medicalassistance to populations genetically (MOH of Ukraine, 2005). According to theseprotocols, medical and genetic population assistance includes the following activities:
- detection of patients with hereditary conditions, including prenatal diagnosis;
- Verification of the genetic diagnosis using modern methods;
- treatment of hereditary diseases;
- medical and genetic counseling of families with the calculation of genetic risk;
- prevention of these diseases;
- promoting knowledge of medical genetics among physicians of various specialtiesand population.